Refreshing Beet & Mint Detox Smoothie
Occasionally I like to have a drink that helps my liver do what it already does best; cleanse my body!
This drink is refreshing, full of fibre and helps your body cleanse itself of the many impurities we are constantly bombarded with on a daily basis. I love how the beetroot gives the smoothie a beautiful deep red colour and the hint of mint makes this drink both refreshing and energizing.
Ingredients: (Organic Please!) 🙂
- 1 handful mixed organic greens
- 1/4 raw beetroot
- 4 baby carrots
- 1/4 cored apple
- small handful of mintlLeaves
- 2 cups ice cold filtered water
Add all ingredients to your Nutribullet, VitaMix or any other high powered blender/mixer and enjoy!
Here’s a closer look at the many benefits of this detoxifying smoothie:
- Mixed Organic Greens. Everything from collard greens, kale, spinach, swish chard; they’re ALL packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and loads of fibre. The more you eat the better you’ll feel. I suggest organic baby kale or spinach for this smoothie as they contain high concentrations of antioxidants, iron, calcium and will help in detoxifying the system.
- Apples are not only nutrient dense they help our heart health by lowering cholesterol as well as better overall digestion. Apples also have high concentrations of pectin; an antioxidant compound which helps us feel full. Pectin has also been known to be useful for those suffering from colitis, constipation or even inflammation.
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A promotes healthier eyesight, reduced inflammation, reduces acne, supports a healthy immune system and keeps our skin looking radiant! Time and time again we hear that true beauty starts from the inside. (Lets face it, no face cream can mask an unhealthy diet.) Eating whole, nutrient dense foods high in vitamin A will prevent premature wrinkling, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, acne, and even uneven skin tone.
- Raw Beetroot: Beets are known for strengthening our liver as well as cleansing our blood and colon. They, like carrots, also contain vitamin A but are also rich in vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, iron and fiber. The beautiful deep red colour of beets comes from betacyanin; an antioxidant known to help to fight cancer.
- Mint Leaves aide in the body’s natural cleansing process, reduce pain associated with irritated bowels and can help clear up different skin disorders.
Enjoying a variety of smoothies with natural ingredients and little to no added sugars will help your body to nourish your circulatory system, increase cardiovascular health, increase energy and nutrient absorption, better overall digestion and help you feel energized. Make sure you take the time to experiment and come up with some of your own favorite blends! Let me know some of your favourite combinations in the comments below!
PureSense Health Clients – 1 Drink = 2 Vegetables
- Understanding Normal and Clinical Nutrition – Fifth Edition -Whitney-Cataldo-Rolfes
- 101 Best SuperFoods – Betsy A. Hornick, MS, RD