It isn’t Christmas without a batch of Classic Shortbread Cookies!
Here’s my family’s tried and true traditional recipe for the most delicious shortbread cookies.
Classic Shortbread Cookies
For The Cookies:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (or for a vegan option, use a pant-based butter of your choice)
For The Icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Assorted food colours
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and icing sugar in a large bowl.
- Blend in the butter with a large spoon.
- Work with your hands until a soft, smooth dough forms.
- Shape into one inch balls and flatten with a lightly floured fork, or roll out the dough into a large thin sheet and cut out shapes using festive cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake at 300F for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove from the sheet and cool completely before storing.
- To make the icing, combine the icing sugar, milk, corn syrup, and almond extract in a bowl. Add colours and decorate the cookies however you like!
- Let icing dry and enjoy!
Recipe Yields: 36 cookies, depending on size.
PureSense Health Clients: 1 small cookie with icing = 1 starch