It can feel daunting to put your health and fitness at the top of your priority list. However, implementing small changes and maintaining consistency will allow you to see that your goals really aren’t that far out of reach.
Here are some easy to follow tips to help you get started:
1) Eat a varied diet. You need a good array of nutrients and the best way to do that is to eat from all the food groups. Eliminating food groups without proper direction can cause further unwanted digestion problems, intolerances and even nutrient deficiencies.
2) Eat more veggies. Focus on range, quantity, quality and nutrition. Ensuring half your plate is loaded with colourful vegetables means you will be keeping your digestive tract in order and absorbing an array of different micronutrients essential to your overall health and wellbeing. Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits can reduce the risk of heart disease, including heart attacks and strokes.
3) Limit processed foods. Choose whole, organic foods while steering clear of packaged and white products as much as possible. This will help nourish your body, and fuel you helping you to feel energized all day long.
4) Eat plenty of fibre. Having ample dietary fiber helps to preserve bowel health by sweeping the digestive tract and preventing build up and blockages. In addition, it aids in lowering levels of cholesterol, regulates levels of blood sugar, and helps you to maintain a healthy weight.
5) Eat at least three balanced meals a day. By enjoying three nutritious meals daily you will help to keep your blood sugar levels steady, help prevent brain fog, give your body more energy during the day, and more control in the evenings.
6) Eat Mindfully. In other words, take the time to really enjoy and savor your meals. You can do this by dining away from the TV, the phone or any other distractions at the kitchen table. Eating consciously and staying undistracted, helps you to savor the flavors in your meal and listen to both your hunger and fullness cues.
7) Handy healthy snacks. Occasionally we get hungry in between meals, or get struck with cravings. Having healthy snacks on hand during these moments is crucial to help you get through the day. Keep them at your desk or within easy access so that you aren’t tempted by the less nutritious variety. I encourage healthy snack options such as fruits and nuts, veggies, a small high protein Greek yogurt parfait with chia seeds, cheese and apple slices, chicken and cucumber roll ups or even something as simple as a hard boiled egg. – Looking for a more grab and go non-perishable option? I love high having high protein snack bars like the Simply Protein brand on hand.
8) Drink Water. Staying hydrated is crucial for our overall health. Keeping filtered water handy at your desk, in your car, or carrying a bottle of water with a built in straw will help you hit those water goals. Did you know that sipping your water throughout the day with a straw helps you to consume more water than usual without even really trying? Jazz up your water by infusing it with cucumber or fruit slices or get really fancy with sparkling water and frozen berries!
10) Spend time outside. Even if you are in an office, consider getting a little fresh air. It is important to take solid breaks throughout the day, get some sunshine and clear your head.
11) Move it. The kind of activity you engage in is not as important as just doing something physical every day. It is most daunting to start, but once you do, you will feel so much better.
12) Manage UV exposure. Limit your exposure by wearing sunscreen and appropriate clothing, even when it appears as though the sun isn’t out.
13) Create a sleep routine. It works for children and it will work for you as well. It might include a warm bath or a warm drink, reading or perhaps lavender essential oils.
14) Spend more time with people who inspire you. We tend to be influenced by those around us so be picky about who you expose yourself to. Spending time around people who help to build you up, push you to hit your goals, encourage you, and simply make you feel good should be your tribe.