Creamy, smooth and oh so comforting…
- 2 Delicata Squash
- 1 Sweet Dumpling
- 1 Sugar Pie Pumpkin
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper (you can add more to taste after)
- 2 L Organic Vegetable Broth (or low sodium chicken)
- 1/2 can Coconut Milk or 1/4 cup cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Halve and seed all your squash/pumpkin and place on a baking sheet (flesh-side up) into the preheated oven until soft. (35-40 minutes.)
- While your squash is baking you can prep all the other ingredients. Mince the garlic, peel and chop your onion, your carrot, and chop your celery.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add your avocado oil, the chopped onion and the garlic. Sprinkle with salt and stir occasionally until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant. After a couple minutes add the remaining vegetables and 1 cup of broth continuing to stir until the vegetables are all soft.
- Remove all squash/pumpkin from the oven and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Make sure to hold each squash and the pumpkin with a dish towel when scooping out the flesh to avoid burning your hands. Slowly add the squash and the remaining broth to the pot.
- Bring the squash soup to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender or working in batches with a blender or food processor until you have a silky smooth soup. Careful it is very hot! Adjust salt/pepper to taste and if consistency is too thick add a little more water. I added 2 cups.
To serve, ladle into bowls and top with 1 tsp coconut milk or cream.
Variation: This recipe is amazing with butternut and acorn squash as well. Simply swap 1 medium butternut squash and one acorn squash in the recipe for the 2 Squash, the Sweet Dumpling and the Pumpkin. Enjoy!
PureSense Health Clients:
1/2 cup soup with 1 tsp. cream = 1 starch + 1 fat