Colourful and fresh-looking with an A+ in nutrition!
- 1 red pepper (medium size and diced)
- 1 orange pepper (medium size and diced)
- 1/2 cucumber (halved and sliced)
- 1/4 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 8 tbsp hemp hearts
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- a pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (rub it in the palms of your hands to release the aroma)
- a dash of garlic powder
Note: I like to put all the ingredients for the salad dressing in my Nutribullet for a velvety and smooth like consistency.
- Wash, prep and chop all ingredients including your mixed greens. Go ahead and use any greens you like, baby arugula, kale, spinach….it’s all wonderful with this salad. If however you use kale, remember to remove the stem and finely chop the kale, or you could just use baby kale. Also, if you are using canned beans make sure to rinse them thoroughly at this point as well.
- Place all prepped ingredients (except your greens and hemp hearts) into a large bowl. Add all your ingredients for your salad dressing to the vegetable and bean mix. Mix well and go for the good old taste test, if you feel you need more dressing just go ahead and add a little bit more.
- Finally take two cups of your greens, place them on your plate and top them with your vegetable mixture. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of hemp hearts on you salad. *Sigh* -the icing on the cake… They give the salad such an amazing nutty and creamy texture.
Recipe Yields: 4 Nutrient-dense Salads
Tip: This is a great salad to put into jars, remembering to put your wet ingredients in first and your greens at the top. Or you can simply put the salad into the fridge in Tupperware containers remembering to keep your greens separate.
Health Tip: I LOVE adding hemp hearts to my salads! What are they? Hemp hearts are raw, shelled hemp seeds that you can sprinkle onto almost everything. Salads are my favorite to add hemp hearts to as, like I mentioned earlier, they add such a wonderful nutty and creamy texture to the salad. Hemp hearts are a fabulous vegetarian protein with a great balance of essential fats, vitamins and minerals that is easy for the body to absorb.
Here are 10 Reasons to LOVE Hemp Hearts
- Help lower your blood pressure.
- Contain the optimum ratio of Omega 3 and 6 polyunsaturated essential fatty acids for the body.
- Regulate metabolism.
- Improved digestion.
- Maintain bone health.
- Increase energy.
- Improve muscle control.
- Help maintain blood sugar levels, thus keeping you fuller longer and great for those suffering with Diabetes.
- A source of protein.
- Help lower cholesterol levels.
PureSense Health Clients – 1 Salad = 3 Veggies + 2 Protein +2 Fat