Occasionally I like to have a drink that helps my liver do what it already does best; cleanse my body!
This drink is refreshing, full of fibre and helps your body cleanse itself of the many impurities we are constantly bombarded with on a daily basis. I love how the beetroot gives the smoothie a beautiful deep red colour and the hint of mint makes this drink refreshing and energizing.
Ingredients: (Organic Please!) 🙂
- Mixed Organic Greens (baby kale is great for this mix)
- 1/4 Raw Beetroot
- 4 Baby Carrots
- 1/4 Cored Apple
- Mint Leaves
- Ice Cold Filtered Water
Add all ingredients to your Nutribullet, VitaMix or any other high powered blender/mixer and enjoy!
So what are the many health benefits of this drink? Well, lets take a closer look.
- Mixed Organic Greens: Mmmmm, mixed greens. Everything from collard greens, kale, spinach, swish chard; they’re ALL packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and lots of fibre! The more you eat the better you’ll feel. I suggest organic baby kale for this mix as kale contains high concentrations of antioxidants, iron, calcium and will help in detoxifying the system.
- Apples: The nutrient dense apples in the drink will help keep your bad cholesterol low and your body regular. Apples also have high concentrations of pectin; an antioxidant compound which helps us feel full. Pectin has also been known to be useful for those suffering from colitis, constipation or even inflammation.
- Carrots: The carrots you’ll add are rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A in the liver and as you most likely already know vitamin A is sooo good for our vision. Further than that though, vitamin A helps keep you looking radiant! Time and time again we hear that true beauty starts from the inside. Lets face it, no face cream can mask an unhealthy diet. Glowing skin starts with what you eat. Eating whole, nutrient dense foods high in vitamin A will prevent premature wrinkling, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, acne, and even uneven skin tone.
- Raw Beetroot: Beets are known for strengthening our liver, cleansing our blood and our colon. They, like carrots, also contain vitamin A but are also rich in vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, iron and fiber. I personally LOVE the beautiful deep red colour of beets and knowing that the colour comes from betacyanin (an antioxidant known to help to fight cancer) makes me love beets that much more!
- Mint Leaves: Mint is just beautiful on anything and everything. So fresh, crisp and energizing! Mint leaves are great for cleansing the body but are also good in helping fight bad breath, reducing pain associated with irritated bowels and can help clear up different skin disorders.
There truly are many varieties of smoothies and juices out there that are known to help nourish our circulatory system, increase cardiovascular health and just make us feel really good overall. Take the time to come up with your own favorite blends as doing so every now and again just makes it easier to get some extra fruits & veggies with all their nutrients and fibre into your diet. The other bonus is that by blending it all you are giving your tummy a small break from having to work so hard at digesting all that roughage. This way, absorbing all those wonderful nutrients becomes that much easier and faster for the body to do. A quick healthy burst of energy never hurt anyone! Keep in mind though that I don’t suggest pulverizing your fruits and veggies more than once a day though, as you don’t want to get your body too used to taking a break and it’s good to just eat your greens as well. Having your body naturally break down different fruits and vegetables helps increase natural healthy bacteria in our tummy and increase our immune system by preventing bad bacteria from living in our gut.
So besides just drinking yourself healthy, you need to remember that it’s about making sure you more often than not choose “right”. You can cleanse, keep your metabolism up, feel good, fight heart disease, and maintain your natural healthy body weight just by making small changes each and every day.
…Now lets take our first healthy step with this drink. Cheers! 🙂
Pssssst……by the way I’m just a little bit jealous of all of you who own the VitaMix….I want it sooo bad but have been holding off due to the cost. So yes, my little Nutribullet is AWESOME but someday I will be making the larger purchase. Umm, isn’t it my birthday in July? Hmm, maybe my hubby will get the hint. 😉
PureSense Health Clients – 1 Drink = 2 Vegetables
- Understanding Normal and Clinical Nutrition – Fifth Edition -Whitney-Cataldo-Rolfes
- 101 Best SuperFoods – Betsy A. Hornick, MS, RD