Omega Rich Vegan Waffles
- 4 cups all purpose flour (you can use barley, spelt, whole grain flour, gluten free or any other flour option of your choice)
- 5 cups silk dairy-free almond milk
- 4 x chia egg mixture (1 tbsp chia seeds + 2 tbsp water soaked together until resembles gel)
- 2 very ripe mashed bananas (optional)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar (Here’s why I love it so much!)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cardamom
Want to increase the protein content? Add 4 scoops vega one vanilla protein powder to the mixture and 2 additional cups of milk.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and whisk.
- In another large bowl make your chia egg mixture. Did you know, 1 tbsp chia seeds with 2 tbsp water replaces and egg in baking? For this recipe we’re replacing 4 eggs so we’re mixing 4 tbsp chia seeds with 1/2 cup water and allowing it to form a gel before adding it to the recipe. Once gel has formed add the vanilla extract, mashed bananas and mix.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, slowly adding the almond milk to the batter.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook at medium heat until ready.
I topped these waffles with pureed raspberries and aquafaba whipping cream; a delicious vegan whipping cream option.
Have you had Aquafaba before? If not, you’re missing out!
Here’s how to make it:
- Liquid from 1 can organic chickpeas
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Simply drain the can of chickpeas over a colander, reserving the liquid.
- Add the powdered sugar to the liquid and start mixing on low gradually moving to high. Keep mixing until peaks form. (I usually pour the liquid and powdered sugar in my kitchen aid and let it mix on high for about 5-8 minutes or until it thickens and peaks form.)
- Add the whipping cream to your waffles and enjoy!
Note: This recipe makes 12 large waffles, great for freezing and throwing into the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
PureSense Health Clients: 1 Waffle = 2 Starch + 1 Fat
Recipe Yields 12 Waffles
Note: If you made the recipe with the addition of protein powder, banana and milk the recipe yields 16 waffles. Count 1 waffle as 1 Starch +1 Protein + 1 Fat