Bean & Lentil Salad
Feeling this fresh, crisp BEAN & LENTIL SALAD for lunch today. ~ We’re not vegans here in our home but we do eat plant based meals quite often. I absolutely love adding cooked beans into soups, stews, casseroles and fresh salads.
Legumes (beans, lentils, split peas, green peas) are such a great source of plant based protein, are high in iron and provide the body with and array of vitamins and minerals. Not to mention they are an excellent source of dietary fibre, help to maintain a healthy gut, lower cholesterol levels and help to maintain blood sugar levels. A win-win!
Do you know how to cook them? ~ Simply soak them for a minimum of 5 hours in a large mixing bowl, drain the water and cook in a pot with water on the stove-top until tender.
Don’t have time to soak them? ~ They cook super fast straight from dry in a pressure cooker, or the instapot. I even like to keep BPA free canned beans on hand for when I’m in a pinch and want to toss them in a salad or add a bit to a stew or chili. .
Here’s my recipe for this delicious bean & lentil salad:
• 1 large can (425g) Red Kidney Beans (BPA free)
• 1 large can (425g) Black Beans (BPA free)
• 1 large can (425g) Green Lentils (BPA free)
• 1/4 cup finely chopped Red Onion
• 1 tbsp finely chopped dill (dried dill works great too)
• 1/3 cup Hemp Hearts
For the Dressing:
- 5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- prep and cut the veggies
- rinse and drain the beans
- in a large bowl whisk all ingredients for the dressing
- toss in all the veggies and beans & serve alone or over a mixed green salad!
Recipe Yields: 6 Servings
PureSense Health Clients: 1 Serving = 4 protein +2 Fat + (1 vegetable if you add mixed greens)