Eggplants are such a great source of different vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that they’re a definite must in any heart-healthy diet.
Here are just a few of their many health benefits:
- Eggplants are a great source of thiamin, copper, manganese, and potassium.
- The skin of the eggplant is antioxidant rich.
- Eggplants contain vitamin B6, niacin, folate and magnesium.
- Tryptophan (a precursor for melatonin) found in eggplants helps us to relax and sleep better.
- High antioxidant properties in eggplants reduce oxidative damage in our bodies and lower our risk of developing cancer.
- The high dietary fiber content in eggplants are great for the prevention and treatment of colon cancer.
- The phytonutrients in eggplants do two things: 1) Improve blood flow in the body, making it great for overall cardiovascular health. 2) Prevent oxidative damage, thus reducing our chances of developing heart disease.
- Eggplants lower LDL, also known as bad cholesterol levels.
- High water content in eggplants make them a great vegetable for healthy skin and hair.
- Help to maintain blood sugar levels and increase overall satiety.
What are some of your favourite eggplant recipes?