Who wouldn’t want a great big bowl of popcorn snuggled up under a blanket while watching a favourite movie?
I love snacking on popcorn and with all its benefits you should too! But before we go further, we need to make sure we’re all on the same page. When I talk popcorn I’m talking “naked” popcorn, yes, plain old fashioned hot air-popped popcorn. Popcorn doused in butter, oils and salt, like movie theatre popcorn is your worst enemy; you may love the taste but trust me your heart and waistline definitely don’t!
Now back to what I call “naked” popcorn. Yes, hot air-popped popcorn may seem boring but because it has so many health benefits it’s worth eating as “naked” as possible.
Here are my top 5 reasons for enjoying popcorn:
- Popcorn is 100% whole grain. – whole grain means that 100% of the original kernel is present (including all of the bran, the germ and endosperm) ensuring maximum nutritional benefits!
- It’s full of fibre. – 5g in 4 cups of popcorn! Yaay! 😉
- It contains high levels polyphenols. – Antioxidants for the prevention of cancers, heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes and much more. Polyphenols are also found in fruits and vegetables but today we’re talking popcorn! 😉
- It’s a great low calorie snack. –Only 30 calories per cup popped! But who’s counting?
- And finally popcorn helps you get a good night’s rest, so it’s perfect for those late night movies. -The carbohydrates in popcorn contain an amino acid called tryptophan which helps to produce niacin in the body. Niacin then helps the body to secrete serotonin which in turn is converted to melatonin; a hormone which plays an important role in helping us sleep.
Alright, so now that you know it’s health benefits let’s not make it completely “naked” we can top it a bit. 😉
My personal favourite is popcorn topped with 2 tbsp. of coconut oil and some Himalayan crystal salt. For a cheesy flavour you can sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top or add some jazz with a little chili powder. Nutritional yeast is protein rich and high in B12 and you can easily find it in most grocery stores. The variations for topping popcorn are truly endless, just promise me you won’t go buying that store bought stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, simply use a little coconut oil and kick up the flavour with any of your favourite spices. So there you go, easy to prepare, it’s good for you and you won’t completely sabotage any weight loss success.
PureSense Health Clients – 3 Cups “Naked” Popcorn = 1 starch